2017-11-22 / Other Jenkins News

Remember When –

This Date in 1922

Mr. George L. Fuller of the U.S. Bureau of Soils is in Millen completing the survey of Jenkins County which was begun last year. This survey is part of a series of surveys carried on over the past 30 years by the U.S. government in which they have mapped nearly 3,00 different kinds of soils. Jenkins County’s survey is completed with the exception of about 100 miles.

The Millen Grocery Company has temporarily taken quarters in the old Ford service rooms and is now getting in a stock of goods. The company will occupy these rooms until completion of their new building. The new building will front on Masonic Street between the Builder’s Supply Company and the Central of Georgia railway.

Parker Mercantile advertises: Oxfords in black kid and patent leathers, all sizes, for $5; stylish suits for men, $25-$40; and warm underwear for men, women and children in union and two-piece suits.

J.N. Stephens, engineer for the State in charge of the construction of the bridge over the Ogeechee River, announces that the bridge will be ready for traffic around the 20th of November. The bridge was a Chamber of Commerce project and construction began in July.

The Woman’s Club staged their annual carnival last Friday night with the production of two shows, “Dixieland” and “Jollies of 1922.” Each of these shows gave four performances during the evening and then joined forces and gave a big double show as a fitting climax.

Prof. W.V. Lanier, superintendent of county schools, will make a test in Arithmetic in all schools of the county. The tests will monitor the progress of students and be available to all school principals.

Return to top